Monday, October 30, 2006
2. What is the first thing you notice about a person when you meet them for the first time? whether or not they make eye contact
3. What are you currently reading? blue like jazz, peter pan and the starcatchers, rising 44
And what is your favorite book of all time? too horrible a question! can not be answered, who could pick just one, or ten even.
4. Where is the furthest you have ever traveled from home? um. depends on what you mean by home.. being a miltary brat...i never had a home. however, from the current place we dwelled... i graduated at 15, took 2 yrs off from school and went to prague, egypt, israel, switzerland, Russia, estonia, soo which of those is the farthest? which ever one it is..does the expanse of russia count? :-)
5. What is something you would like to knit “One day”?
Cabled sherwood sweater for baby tali.
6. And finally – since it is October - what are you going to be for Halloween?
nothing. like in the never ending story... "the nothing". no really just plain ole nothing.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
to make a mike nesmith hat!
i assume everyone knows you mike nesmith is...of the monkees
still have no idea?
or even this
typically this is a green beanie with a pompom atop.
HOWEVER there are some photos showing him with a blue one.
you can choose to make either one. if you make one in each colour you will be entered into a bonus round!
hats must be made of wool.
can be knit or crocheted
must have the pompom
must be completed by dec 2.
leave comments on your progress and blog addy so i can see the finished hats.
Sunday, October 22, 2006
sam was 107 of 109.
so i bought my wedding dress 2 months before he proposed.
and yes, he is all 109 now. and i shoulda added "will pick his socks up off the floor" heehee
Friday, October 20, 2006
Today is our anniversary. 12 years.
when he kissed me goodbye early this morning, i mumbled something like "today is my last day to play with barbies" ???? what the heck? i talk in my sleep really badly! another thing you now know about me.
Shmuel showed up at lunch with flowers. sigh!
now i wont see him again till 10pm? , and all weekend we will be ships passing in the night. so if you stop by my blog...happy anniversary,my love!
but then there are the KEW socks. you may not know this but i am a freak about trees....and thus leaves. i studied in denver at the botanic gardens in theit botanic art and illustration program. i dont think i have touched any of my art stuff in 2-3 years. anyways...i desperately want to go to Kew and to the botanic garden in hawaii. so now i have to make these socks! cuz of my short wide feet, it says to use a stretchy yarn. gonna have to figure that one out. i have cascade fixation.... but dont know how its texture will work with the pattern.
this brings me to my LYS. i stopped by yesterday on the way to buy a birthday cake. they are not going to carry noro anymore! so if you want it... go snatch it up while you can! plymouth i guess makes a similarish yarn, though the colours are a bit muted. and it is $3 less a ball. so they will be carrying it instead.
anyway i went to knitwits to find a sport weight wool, which i knew they wouldnt have, but with all the changes...thought i would check. they didn't. so can some one recommend a nice sportweight? should i just check knitpicks?
oh, the cake...cuz i know you are dying to know, was a snickers cake. choc with a peanut butter fluff frosting, carmel topped and then slices of snickers on top of all that. very good! very rich, small pieces were to celebrate marcus' bday.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
if you are #30 or #16 , you win!!!!!!
hahaha you do not know who that is?
you dont know your #?
well of the 62 people who entered BEFORE 11:11pm Pacific Time yesterday October 18, #16 is Lorinda and #30 is Melissa
email me your mailing addresses and i will send you a present!
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
suddenly they are everywhere.
i love Pride and Prejudice.
so i am torn. do i want to read any of them? will they do it justice?
if i read them will i be disappointed? has anyone read from the plethora?
My Brother and Sister are still here. a saturday afternoon has grown into several days of fun visiting. after 4 yrs we are soaking up as much of them as we can. the idea of a move has been mentioned. which would mean my niece will get to get hugged on too. i am atleast looking forward to the next visit.
I had a few last minutes matches to send out, waiting on glitches to come back and haunt me.
contest update: winner will be chosen at random.thursday am from all entries received BEFORE 11:11 pm Wed OCTOBER 18th.
For those in driving distance of Chico. a new indian resturaunt is coming!
grand opening is Oct 22! whooohooo!
those lucky enough to go to the farmers market have been able to sample the yumminess! we think Amit rocks! so visit him! tell him his sambar girl sent you. 1410 Park more details? email me. i got a map today. oh he cateers too, both indian and italian food!
Monday, October 16, 2006
my 4 yr old is fluish,she is the april girl, and currently occupying my thought. so ignore the email that says april!
I hearby challenge you answer the following questions and post them to your blog - and here too if you want:
1. Where is your favorite knitting spot?
2. If you suddenly could never knit again (shudder) - what would you do instead?
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world - where would you go and why?
4. When you were little - What did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it?
5. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
SP9ers, in my group...matches were sent Oct 6. Check your emails.
Saturday, October 14, 2006
We had a wonderful surprise. my brother matty and SIL Syrena had a truck run in our neck of the woods rather than the east coast and got to show up for the festivities.
it was so amazing to see them! I can't even express how wonderful it is!
Thursday, October 12, 2006
inside the box were some delicious treats. can you tell jaden wanted a cookie?! the abundance of chai and stash tea flavours are waiting for a quiet moment to be sipped.
inside was a cotton yarn in my colours and some delicious brooklyn handspun in a very victorian colourway. i am thinking lombard street socks maybe?
Shelby! this was a phenomonal package of gifts! thank you so much!
and all the kids are a lil buzzed off the sugar , and say thanks too. :-)
inside the mangled cardboard were some wonderful treasures. i love my new della q bag! it had some great accessories and needles inside. and the book i have been wanting for quite some time. my lys ordered ONE copy months ago, and i have been wanting my own for a long time! i am so excited about it!
from the book, the sirrius swock, made in mountain bear foot yarn, same stuff i used for my pal, but obviously a different colour. i love it. it fits perfectly!
the panda tea is another i have been coveting. it is so cute!
i cant wait to try the regia silk yarn.
Thank you Christa!
unfortunately i used my dad's camera.... so i can't post their pictures til i get them from him.
but let me tell you, they put the "S" in spoiled rotten!
Monday, October 09, 2006
yesterday was pastor appreciation...lots of desserts and some wonderful presents. gift certificate to sophia's thai! how awesome is that!? in a small town there are few choices for dinner, especially after 7pm. :-) this is our favourite place. the kids however choose ihop. which is where we ate tonight. funny face pancakes rock!
our week is pretty crazy, which is why i got my sp9 matches out last week.
(10 days left in the contest, be sure to read the end of the previous post for details.) i tried to mail a few swap packages, but forgot it was a holiday today. so that goes on tomorrow's list...after farmer's market ofcourse. (eat local!)
simcha torah is coming up this weekend. we have a friday night service to prepare for. i am watching everything align and am amazed. when we first moved here from denver, i thought we would never celebrate any feast or holiday outside our home. it is starting to feel homey, which is weird for a girl without a home town. :-)
after simchat torah the girls' bdays are happening this weekend too. tirzah's 11th and tali's 1st. i hope to get tirzah's project done this week, tali's sherwood sweater will be for chanukah it looks like. :-( i am using a lilac shade of lullaby that heartstrings had in grab bags. the whole thing will be under $5!
oh! cynthia got my second sock syndrom package i sent. the sock fit! hurray. so you can see what i was making at her blog
Friday, October 06, 2006
i have my group of 65 people. i have been up late at night matching away. 3 countries...and every one wants same country. matching pals up is soo scary, and when people you live near are in your group...there is that extra fear that they could poke you with a knitting needle when this is all over!
i love the way the anticipation of swap packages are written about here. she also talks about being "swap ditched". i really hope we don't have ditchers this round. it is awful to watch what everyone else is getting on their blogs, trying to send cheery packages out, while opening an empty mailbox for months.
i had a pal who never blogged during one swap. that made it really hard to shop for her. i had no idea of who she was. i still do not know to this day if she ever got her last box or even liked what was in it. the swap was over and that was it.
so far i have noticed 2 things decide whether or not you will have a good exchange: c0mmunication and expectations. the letters, emails, and blog posts that are "required" help spoilers establish a connection to who they are spoiling.
i have seen some pretty ghastly boxes arrive, and still be welcomed with a cheery attitude and thankful heart. then there are the spoilers who spen 5x the ammount of the swap...easy, who may go without any or little thanks. there will always be some one who signed up for a swap just to see what they get, and they may never be happy with their packages' contents for what ever reason. but the ones who sign up to meet new people and for the opportunity to brighten someone's day, they are the one's who get the most enjoyment out of the 3-4 month period.
IF YAHOO ever lets me access my mail today, i will be sending out spoilee information. trying to give anyone a chance to back out now while they can, before it gets messy. commitment issues!
so my 65 bubbelahs, i hope you all get wonderful packages and find a new friend maybe in all of this, but mostly i hope you have a great time!
In honour of tali's first birthday we will have a contest....
Jody posted some questions on her blog, answer them, post them to your blog, and either leave me a comment or email me that you posted them to be entered. you have til 11:11pm PST on the 18th (time she was born at) to let me know. everyone will be entered into a drawing for something yummy. NONSP9 participants are welcome to join in
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
i got the most amazing package for the coco swap!
It arrived torturously during a yom kippur fast. however was the perfect way to end the fast!
you can see i opened the kaluah chocloates in this picture. i love the yesterday and today yarns. very cute! lovely alpaca to spin up now that my wheel is happier. a fabulous shawl pin...and of course more chocolate!
Thanks Jeanne! very wonderful, i loved it all.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? i do not like sneezey, squeaky yarns...all others i adore
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? namaste needlecase/bag, a vase...the diaper bag, bedside table drawer...
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
i checked out every book on knitting i could find and finally cast on 2 yrs ago. i am intermediate though i am atempting the master knitters program
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? yep on the sidebar, knit picks upon request
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) lavender, cucumber melon, cassia, um..apple
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? yep. dark choc. and anything hazelnut
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? i spin. i crochet, i sew, scrapbook, crossstitch, ribbon embroidery, etc.. i was a homeschooled kid. i did alot of crafts.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) yes to mp3s. i like punkpop, mostly christian and alternative, oldies, motown,
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? hate buble gum pink. but have very pink lil girls. love cobalt bloe, burgandy, hunter green, eggplant, teal, midnight blue
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? hubby, 6 kids, no pets
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? yep
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? baby socks
13. What are you knitting right now? sss sock, simple knitted bodice, a hedgehog, clogs, dragon socks
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? well thought out ones
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? all of the above. cept i do not like the sluggishness of brittany's
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? yep, both
17. How old is your oldest UFO? after naked stix for 2006 i got alot done....now i am sure i need to do something
18. What is your favorite holiday? thanksgiving, passover, chanukah
19. Is there anything that you collect? ladybugs and kids :-P
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? books-long list, see amazon. needles- i want a complete knitpicks set one day, patterns. entrelac fish mittens...yes really
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? none
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? always
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? yep
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) midsummers day